4 Compensatory Damages You Can Ask For In A Personal Injury Lawsuit

Filing a personal injury lawsuit after a car accident is a very big decision. There are many things that you need to know about filing a lawsuit that you get the best outcome possible. One of the important things you need to know up front is about the kind of damages you can sue for. Generally you will ask for compensatory damages. These are damages that are there to compensate you for your losses because of the accident. Here are some of the compensatory damages that people generally sue for.

1. Property Damage

One of the first things that people sue for is damage or loss of property. This can include your car in a car accident, damaged parts of your house, even things like a broken watch, lost earrings, or other things that might have been ruined or stolen in the incident. Usually when you ask for compensation for property damage you need to have some sort of way to prove how much the property was worth. This could include an appraisal, purchase price through receipts and so forth.

2. Medical Expenses

Another important part of compensatory damages is to ask for reimbursement for medical expenses. If you were injured in the accident you can bring in your medical bills to have those included in the amount of money you ask for. It doesn't just have to be your immediate medical expenses, like the doctor's bills from a broken arm, but it can also include rehabilitation services afterward and any medical supplies you needed to buy.

3. Lost Wages and Income

If after the accident you had to miss work, you can ask for compensation for your lost wages. In addition, if you lost your job because you are no longer able to do it because of your injury then you could include that as well. You will need to prove what you made with income tax forms, or W-2 forms and then prove how much you expect you lost.

4. Pain and Suffering

Pain and suffering is a little harder to prove, but it can be included in your personal injury lawsuit. For instance, if in the accident your child passed away, you could sue for the pain and suffering that you felt because of the death of your child. This number is usually determined by the judge, rather than documentation. Although you can include bills from therapy and mental health services to prove your emotional trauma.

These are just a couple things that you can include in your compensatory damages. Go to websites like http://www.hardeeandhardee.com for more information.